Sporting Wheelies and Disabled Association (Sporting Wheelies) has been helping Queenslanders with a disability lead active, healthy lives and achieve their sporting dreams for more than 45 years. Our mission is to help people from the bedside to the courtside by building inclusive communities that enhance the lives of people with a disability through access to advocacy, rehabilitation, health and fitness, sport and active recreation.
We are expanding our team and looking for an experienced Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to join us.
As a key member of the executive management team, the CFO will work in close consultation with our outsourced accounting service provider, our executive team and our board to deliver sustainable financial outcomes in line with our strategic plan.
Your previous experience will highlight that you are a professional that will roll up your sleeves in order to get the job done – this is par for the course. You will also possess a can-do attitude along with the ability to adapt to different situations and challenges as they arise.
Key Duties will include:
- Accountability for financial budgeting and financial reporting including annual reporting, annual budget, external audit, AGM, Financial statement, balance sheets, and profit and loss.
- Management of the outsourced accounting service provider to ensure timely monthly financial statements for consideration by the Board as well as forward-looking analysis.
- Development and documentation of business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls, compliance and corporate governance.
- Strategic financial planning for the business in conjunction with the CEO and Board.
- Driving some key strategic initiatives, where you will be accountable for the business case, project plans, risk assessment and driving the project through to delivery of outcomes.
- Ensuring the operational aspects of the processing of payroll and associated activities including reporting are accurate and delivered within appropriate timeframes and comply with regulatory requirements
- Supporting the CEO and representing Sporting Wheelies at Board and sub-committee meetings as well as in networking opportunities.
- Participating as a member of the executive management team: bringing strategic, commercial, and financial challenge, insight, support, and continuous evaluation of short- and long-term objectives. This includes providing the leadership team with recommendations on the financial implications of business operations and activities and supporting financial aspects of grant applications and acquittals.
Required Key Skills:
- The CFO will have prior experience of at least 10 years as a chief financial officer (or, potentially, as a financial controller in a larger organisation) and will preferably be a chartered accountant or certified practising accountant
- Track record of identifying performance improvements through financial challenge and insight.
- Understanding of budgeting and financial modelling with the capability to lead this stream of work, with both an annual budgeting focus, and a longer term strategic focus.
- Understanding of financial controls and governance, including systems, accounting policies.
- Management of service providers including establishment of scope, activities, reporting and active oversight of outcomes.
- Understanding of financial and regulatory compliance obligations and track record of delivering outcomes.
- Effective organisational, leadership and project management skills
- Additional skills and qualifications that would be favourably viewed are:
- Operational leadership e.g. operations manager or chief operations officer roles
- Experience in business case development and project direction / management
- Leading change and/or new business projects
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or related Discipline
- CA/CPA qualification or equivalent
- The ability to operate within a not-for-profit environment and achieve positive outcomes from projects with limited resources.
When applying please include a brief cover letter with your application addressing your response to the Required Key Skills and Required Qualifications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.